Cisco SW Engineering manager in Chandlers Ford, United Kingdom
SW Engineering manager
Location: Chandlers Ford, England, United Kingdom
Area of Interest Engineer - Software
Job Type Professional
Technology Interest Collaboration, Video
Job Id 1230047
Job Title: Engineering Manager
Brief description of Project/
Department Cisco develops Digital TV software solutions and undertakes integration of this software with different hardware platforms for multiple customers. The software is deployed with satellite, cable and IP network operators around the world and is developed and integrated in the UK, India and Israel. The group directly reporting to the Engineering Manager covers multiple development, integration and test roles on these projects; specifically.
• Development of features within Middleware and Application components
• Sub system integration of SW components to generate and maintain a Middleware deliverable.
• Full Systems Integration of drivers, middleware and applications on client devices such as a STBs
• Test activities associated with proving the operation of the e2e system.
The Engineering Manager is responsible and accountable for the running of these activities both within the immediate group and, for specific projects across the wider global community.
Management of technical scrum teams working on software development, integration, test and release activities to meet timescales and deliverables as part of Ciscos and our customer’s development projects.
Evolve and develop integration methods, approaches, tools, infrastructure and techniques for use within the Group and the wider community promoting Agile methodologies including Kanban and Scrum.
Responsible for defining development, integration and test strategies and plans for projects. Covering scope definition, resource/timescale estimation, risks and mitigation plans.
Responsible for communicating and agreeing plans with Cisco & Customer Project managers acting as governance for agile estimation processes from the teams within fixed cost or fixed timeline contracts.
Lead, implement and be an advocate of agile process within the team and work with other Engineering Managers to ensure consistency across teams.
Responsible for scheduling, tracking and reporting of progress against plans to Cisco & Customer Project Managers.
Responsible for developing and managing collaborative relationships with partners, both internal and external, to ensure successful delivery of solutions.
Responsible for all personnel management of the group; ensuring 121’s, appraisals, training, career development, recruitment, pay and performance are all appropriately managed in line with company practise.
Responsible for software functionality, quality and delivery to schedule for the group.
Responsible for ensuring an appropriate balance between strategic project development and customer specific activities.
Responsible for ensuring that development and integration tasks are conducted in line with Cisco’s technical strategy, R&D charter and product road map.
Education You should be educated to degree level or equivalent.
Experience You shall have held a number of positions in team leadership, management or project management in software development and/or integration in the consumer electronics or information technology industry.
Work history. You should have ideally have worked in the set top box or digital TV sector.
Knowledge You shall have an in depth understanding of software development and integration approaches as well as tests methods. You will have experience of working in an Agile environment acting as a strong advocate for Agile approaches within your teams. You should also preferably have a good understanding of STB hardware and software and/or end to end broadcast and IP Video systems.
You will be confident and comfortable in applying yourself in a highly technical community and be able to map business strategy and decisions into the technical domain and vice versa.
You will be confident and competent in using complex SW engineering tools to analyse/track and manage the integration tasks.
General You shall be required to work at Cisco Chandlers Ford
Personal Skills/Profile Leadership
• Adapts Leadership style to suit the audience
• Sets clear expectations of what is required
• Identifies most effective ways to employ people and time
• Delegates tasks appropriately
• Knows who to involve and when
• Juggles tasks and resources efficiently to meet priorities
• Focuses on end results to ensure that they are achieved
• Gives honest timely and constructive feedback to team members
• Recognises and rewards individual contribution
• Provides training and development opportunities to improve performance
• Leads by example
You will be results-oriented. Thrive in a technically challenging global multi-cultural environment. Be tenacious and take personal ownership in achieving results from the group.
You must have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels within Cisco and to STB partners, both verbally and in writing, with tact and diplomacy
• Presents information clearly and succinctly checking for understanding
• Active listener e.g. summarises, checks for understanding and agreed actions
• Uses most appropriate communication channel e.g. e mail; telephone; face to face
• Tailors amount and style of communication to audience. Influences and convinces others with own enthusiasm and personal style
• Identifies and develops relationships with key opinion leaders
You shall be able to quickly assimilate new ideas and methods. You must also be able to support several projects running in parallel, in different areas of development, different stages of the lifecycle and different programmes. You should adapt readily to rapid changes in customer requirements and business focus.
Creativity & Innovation
• Generates ideas to work around problems
• Thinks outside the box
• Challenges assumptions, questions existing processes
• Shows creative vision
• Creates opportunities to test new ideas
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.