Cisco Software Engineer - DNS Platform in Vancouver, British Columbia
Software Engineer - DNS Platform
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Additional Location(s) Remote or San Francisco USA
Area of Interest Information Technology
Job Type Professional
Technology Interest Security
Job Id 1228258
Site Reliability Engineer
Alternate location: San Francisco, CA or Remote
The Business Entity
OpenDNS, now part of Cisco, is an Internet security company that’s transforming the way IT departments secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. In 2012 OpenDNS launched Umbrella, a new line of cloud-delivered Internet security services that, for the first time ever, allow IT departments to extend security off the network and actually protect users wherever they roam. OpenDNS built Umbrella on top of our rock-solid foundation: the world’s most loved and trusted DNS service that’s used today used by 50 million people around the world.
Infrastructure Engineering consists of Network Engineering, Systems Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering and Security Engineering - together, we build core Internet infrastructure, security applications and distributed systems at scale. Our environment processes 2,000,000+ requests per second, across 25 data-centers and cloud infrastructure providers.
Role & Responsibilities
Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for growth and scale. We take an application initially developed for 100,000 users, to 50-100 million and beyond. The challenges can be significant and we own these applications end-to-end; architecture, software development, infrastructure and the operational component. At times, it may mean rewriting or refactoring of an application in order to automate everything and remove human dependency.
We are committed to getting it done... properly, the first time.
● Experience building and running a high-transactional, 24x7 production environment
● Experience with applications that span multiple data-centers and/or cloud controllers
● Strong familiarity with systems engineering, cluster computing and programming theory
● Experience working with client/server side frameworks and platforms
● Experience with programming in any of the following C, C++, Java, Go
● Experience with Linux and FreeBSD, configuration and tuning
● Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment
● Expertise specifying, designing, and implementing system and application health/performance monitoring and load automation
● Experience with application delivery platforms for load balancing, caching, compression, application firewalling, reverse proxy, SSL termination, etc.
● Experience with systems and application security
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.